Over the last 30 years since community publishing was initiated, more than 60 books have been published, some in several volumes and translated into between 3 & 7 Zimbabwean languages, and some drawing on thousands of diverse contributors. The books are very popular and sometimes go out of print before they are launched, or leave the national team with only one copy after a large print run. Some titles are frequently reprinted, including commissions by other organisations. From 2018, some titles will be available online. Some of the books are accompanied by posters and games.
ACPD carries out the following services, as sponsored programmes or consultancies:
• Community based, participatory research, especially with young people;
• Producing awareness raising publications;
• Simplifying technical information, especially in relation to constitutionalism, human rights, gender, prevention of violence, poverty reduction and development;
• Organising large scale rural community awareness and capacity enhancement workshops;
• Training inter-agency facilitators
• Youth leadership development;
• Participatory training programmes, short term and long term, both face to face, and in future, online;
• Illustrations that generate discussions, and
• Training community artists
In future ACPD will be producing further multi-media material, such as videos, poetry audio albums, t-shirts and online courses (MOOCs)
Comments by adults on the books
Community publishing is done by the people for themselves in their respective communities (it is people based and is a participatory approach) whereas the other development and media approaches plan development away from the intended beneficiaries and in their data compilation and communication there are a lot of inaccuracies and misplaced conclusions.
Those of us who were involved in the production of these publications ended up discovering within ourselves talents which had not been tapped. The world began to open before our minds. We began to see more clearly, think more creatively, reason more logically and analyse facts and information more critically. Our minds became liberated...
The late Stephen Matewa
ACPD produces posters, through its Chief Artist Anxious Katuruza, to generate discussions, both problem-posing (codes) and confidence building. The sets of posters cover peace-building, gender, constitutional awareness, civic and voter education and children’s rights and protection from violence.
People who have used the posters have commented:
• Why didn’t you bring these posters earlier so that we could have been free to talk about issues as they are? The pictures are so good and healing that everyone will be laughing and talking without fear.
Here are a few examples:
SEE OUR BOOKS & POSTERS
MADE WITH BY ZMC DESIGN SCHOOL | CONTENT CO-ORDINATED BY LIGHTWELL MPOFU
COPYRIGHT © 2018 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED